Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop, 40 dollar hotspot!

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Patience guy's, you're acting like children demanding a new toy! Where are all the mothers around here?
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I asked their Facebook rep if they will be crediting the 4g/3g mifi when the LTE/3G mifi comes out and they said they didn't know. Nice to get an honest answer on that.

"FreedomPop Hey Jim, I don't have any info on that right now. Check back with us closer to third quarter this year."

They are crediting existing mifi's for the refurb Wimax/3G mifi's.

Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    The article suggests that they do have a Lte hotspot, but are waiting on Sprint.

I wonder if I get this hotspot, will they allow an exchange, probably not, but they might be easy to resell.
    Last edited by offthegrid; 04-27-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I asked their Facebook rep if they will be crediting the 4g/3g mifi when the LTE/3G nifi comes out and they said they didn't know. Nice to get an honest answer on that.

FreedomPop Hey Jim, I don't have any info on that right now. Check back with us closer to third quarter this year.

They are crediting existing mifi's for the refurb Wimax/3G mifi's.
    I think I'm going to wait then, I have a Verizon XOOM that can be a hotspot. Free beats pay any day...oh well!

Phones
    Motorola M800 Portable Phone
    Sprint Sanyo SCP-7050
    Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well I paid 80 for my photon and all they're going to do is swap it even for the 40 overdrive..

Sent from my Inspire 4G using HowardForums
    I'm a weird bird. My unlimited unthrottled AT&T LTE iPad SIM sits inside a smartphone that can't make calls. I carry one of a variety of prepaid dumbphones with me linked to a single number with Google Voice.

Carriers
    AT&T mobile share
    T-mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I finally got my Freedom Spot Overdrive Pro in today and while the setup did take some time to figure out I didn't have as much difficulty as the previous poster.
    Instead of connecting the mifi to a computer using a usb cable I double clicked the power button to cycle to the first of six screens which displayed the wifi password. After that I logged into the default gateway, entered the admin "password", then clicked on Advanced settings at the top. In the Advanced Settings page I then viewed the WAN tab then the Setup sub-tab which included two buttons to Update 3G PRL and Update 3G Profile. Once those two processes were complete I went back to the main device tab and clicked on check for updates now to make sure the latest firmware is present and finalize the process. I imagine this procedure is normally to be done by FP before shipping the device out but with a rush of orders there just wasn't any time. Still some written instructions would've been nice to have been included especially for the less tech-savvy customers and to avoid giving a bad first impression to new customers.

Overall I am satisfied with the hotspot while thicker than the photon the increased coverage and the display outweigh the slightly increased heft.

While the freedom spot was charging I received an email sent to an address not associated with a FP account that I used in the Check availability at the beginning of the page. The offer was for the Overdrive Pro hotspot at a price of 39.99 with FREE shipping though no option of selecting a faster shipping method. The first month also included 2GB of data and hinted the regular price of this hotspot being 50% off from a regular price of 89.99. Now I know half of 90 is actually 45 so not sure if its an intentional rounding or a mistake. Here is a picture of the two banners included in the website for this offer.

Phones
    Samsung Fascinate(Galaxy S1), HTC Droid Incredible, Freedompop Photon Mifi
    Samsung Fascinate(Galaxy S1)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carriers
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    i just bought a Photon earlier this month. Has been working well for me but should I try to have it swapped out for the Overdrive Pro? what are the specs on it versus the Photon?

Feedback Score

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    i just bought a Photon earlier this month. Has been working well for me but should I try to have it swapped out for the Overdrive Pro? what are the specs on it versus the Photon?
    Photon is 4g only, so it's useless unless you live in one of the cities where sprint 4g exists.

Overdrive pro can do 4g wimax and 3g (which is available outside of cities). You must pay 3.99/mo for 3g backup.

Guys I have a questio!

I went to freedompop's website to buy an overdrive pro but on the shipping page it says it takes 63 to 69 days. Will this completely eat the 30 day trial period? I know they activate when you order so you loose time in shipping. Could the 63 days be a typo or are they that sold-out? What should I do?

Phones
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carriers
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yes they are sold out and shipping time does eat into your plan.

I decided to stay with the photon.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    But wouldn't that be so absurd? 60 day ship time and activated at purchase? Would they charge 3.99 for the unused other month?

I almost wanna just go for it and get on the list, but not if there's going to be shenanigans!
    Sent from my SGH-i677 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Phones
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carriers
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    One thing I have found is that Freedom pops customers service is pretty responsive so if you have a concern they will address it.

My account became active when I placed my order. But when I ordered my photon, it took about a week to arrive so I lost a few days. I didn't fight it as it was hard to argue with free.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If you wait till the 3rd quarter they will have a Sprint LTE/3G mifi.

Quote Originally Posted by bananapeal View Post
    Photon is 4g only, so it's useless unless you live in one of the cities where sprint 4g exists.

Overdrive pro can do 4g wimax and 3g (which is available outside of cities). You must pay 3.99/mo for 3g backup.

Guys I have a questio!

I went to freedompop's website to buy an overdrive pro but on the shipping page it says it takes 63 to 69 days. Will this completely eat the 30 day trial period? I know they activate when you order so you loose time in shipping. Could the 63 days be a typo or are they that sold-out? What should I do?

Carriers
    AT&T mobile share
    T-mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    One thing I have found is that Freedom pops customers service is pretty responsive so if you have a concern they will address it.

My account became active when I placed my order. But when I ordered my photon, it took about a week to arrive so I lost a few days. I didn't fight it as it was hard to argue with free.

In my case I was given the opportunity to take a satisfaction survey for an extra 250MB when I pleaded my case because my overdrive pro arrived two days late.

Phones
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carriers
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I got an extra 1 gig my first month anyway.

I signed up for the rollover feature so now I am stockpiling data.

Feedback Score
    I'll throw in my experience with FP Overdrive Pro...

Ordered at the end of April ($3.99 500MB 3G plan), the device was backordered and did not receive it until this past Tuesday. Ran in to the "error 67" / no 3G issues others have run into but was unable to connect to the device wirelessly. Had to plug the device into my Mac, install software and then access the admin page to update the 3G PRL and profile.

Once that was done I was able to connect but later that evening it prompted me to do an OTA firmware upgrade which I let it do. While the update went smoothly it ate 40+ MB of data. Not a big deal since I had 1.5GB for the first month. I emailed lamenting the fact that half my free trial was used up waiting for the device to arrive. They said they did this to provide a better out of box experience and added an additional 1GB to my account. I responded by thanking them for the GB (asked if it could be applied to next months balance though) but mentioned the out of box experience is anything but smooth with the OD Pro due to the 3G issues.

Once setup the OD Pro works as expected but it's VERY slow to startup compared to my VM mifi 2200. Having a screen offsets this complaint somewhat.

FWIW,
    Bill

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    My use is quite different, I plan on using a hotspot in my car too. And I've never used over 1GB on my Verizon XOOM tablet. I'm wifi covered most of the places I go already, home, office, and places that I do buisness with. Cellular can't replace LLs yet, and wired cable is far superior to wireless for me! In fact, browsing is much faster with a full blown PC than any fake (Android and iOS) OS there is.

I've never used Boost, so I don't know, but have always thought that data on it was slow as molasses.
    Yes, I spoke in haste. My bad. I still think 20.00 for 2 gigs is over priced.
    The 500 Meg's free every month may be worth the price of the MIFI device.
    We are all becoming dependent on a data source for so much, downloading a needed app or maybe just enough data to GPS you out of being lost.

So if you buy this device, do you have to subscribe to a pay data plan, or can you just buy it and use the free 500 Meg's for a while to try it out?
    And if you can, which one is the WiMAX device?
    WiMAX is more than fast enough for all my needs.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast